Monday, 30 June 2014

Discrete kitty toilet

Since moving the mint buffet into the laundry,  this corner which holds Tilly's litter tray has been less than ideal. I changed the scratching post attachments so it sits better and then sorted the corner with cleats to hold a wooded lid which can lift off for easy access to clean, added curtains for privacy and voila, discrete kitty toilet.

Friday, 27 June 2014

Greening the bedroom

With bed linen.  A change from the whites and beiges...coupled with a scrappy green toned summer quilt and a new pillow case for my bolster from from material stash.  Added fancy trim from the stash and voila...a fresh new look!

Thursday, 26 June 2014

Cable management

The cable mess in Ethan's room tamed for a while.  I hung the power boards off screws in the wall...still not pretty, but at least practical.  All off the floor now!

Granny squares

Having just finished Ethan's rug I suddenly had the urge to make I've started granny squares agaun witb leftover bits of wool from the's addictive!

Wednesday, 25 June 2014

A rug for Ethan

These squares were meant to be part of a blanket but I never finished the I took the finished pieces and joined them, edged it with crochet double crochets and turned it into a rug for Ethan's room.  The cable mess still bugs me but nothing has come to mind as a means to properly deal with it satisfactorily...yet...


Another serving of the houdini cat.  Snug as a bug...

Monday, 23 June 2014

Winter has arrived

After a bit of a sputtering start, I do believe winter has finally made an appearance and weather forecasts have predicted a windy spell tomorrow which would make it definite.  In the meantime,  Tilly has been exploring options to snuggle somewhere she chose Ethan's quilt...under the covers... 

A crocheted hat

I pulled this hat from the cupboard to adorn my cold head.  I crocheted this number last year and added the floral embellishment.

Friday, 20 June 2014

This moment

Sharing at Soulemama.

Curtains for the bookshelf

Considered doors to keep the dust off Pip's bookshelf contents but because it's in a really tight corner of the room, curtains had to do instead.   Repurposed from a fitted single bed sheet...

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Nail polish storage

I decided to move Pip's collection of nail polish which was taking up valuable shelf space in her bookshelf into the back of her wardrobe door. I took out some unused spice racks in the kitchen from behind one of thr cupboard doors and got to work.  There were other nail related items that I thought would do well being stored with the nail polish but needed something taller so I built a taller spice rack from leftover louvres and bits of wood from my stash.

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Covering up

Marks on the wall...didn't get a chance to repaint the study so the marks on the wall bug me...I found a picture we stashed away under the stairs which we've never hung up.  Turns out it was perfect.  The blue hues tie in really well with the rest of the room.

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

The TV room

Yes I am thinking about re-arranging the furniture in this room again...back to the way it was before...I just need to convince Frank that it's a worthwhile exercise because it would mean moving the speakers...again...

Sunday, 15 June 2014

From finishing

To finished.  Hung the last door on the shelving in the study with a sense of relief.  Yes there are still little minor touch up things but the large structural bones of it are complete.  Now Pip's asked for more mirrors in her my mind is working around how to repurpose the one in my room dressing table to mount onto the wall in her room. I think that will be a holiday job. The winter break is only 2 weeks away anyway.

Friday, 13 June 2014

It's in the little details

I decided that I really liked the 'biscuit' method of keeping cupboard doors closed...I blame it on Ethan's bed remodel.  I went to our local Bunnings hardware and found these adorable ones which almost look fish like...So they are holding the bookshelf doors shut and also the new doors I attached onto the outside cupboard because I used the louvred door that was there before for the study.

A pin board re sized

This corner of the study where the thermometer resides is just perfect for a pin board.  The one that used to live behind the study door is too wide and has seen better days. I cut it down to size, stapled new fabric to the front and hung it in place.  Finally getting around to adding homey touches to a catch all room...

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Attaching the doors

To the study shelves. Just one left to do. It's looking quite stylish...

Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Repurposing louvered doors

I have 3 of these louvred doors, one of which is being used for the external cupboard I built earlier. I built the new study shelves around these doors. I don't like the louvres as they are impossible to clean properly.  So I removed the louvres with the intention of reusing them as flat slats. I bought some trim, nailed it to the side of the frames and glued the trimmed down louvres.  2 down, one more to go...finishing...keeping with my word for the year.